FW: 2 Linguist Positions, Australian National University

Randy LaPolla R.LaPolla at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Feb 28 05:03:18 UTC 2011

Sorry for cross-postings

------ Forwarded Message
From: Wayan Arka <wayan.arka at ANU.EDU.AU>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:27:21 +1100
To: "LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG" <LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: 2 Linguist Positions, Australian National University

2 Linguist Positions, Australian National University

We are seeking two outstanding early career Linguists with a strong fieldwork-based background, and a research program focusing on one or more understudied languages of the Asia-Pacific Region.

We are looking to fill one continuing (Level B/C) and one fixed term  (Level B) position.

With these appointments we wish to broaden and deepen our research in the region. We are particularly interested in applicants who will strengthen our collective expertise through work in one or more of the following areas: anthropological linguistics, sociolinguistics, multilingualism, historical linguistics, semantics, pragmatics, lexicography, language documentation, statistical and/or computational approaches to analysing cross-linguistic variation, typology, variationist approaches.

Applicants should have existing field experience in one or more sites of the Pacific/Asia region or relevant field experience elsewhere and concrete plans to develop a new field site in the Pacific/Asia region.

A substantial amount of time is available for ongoing research, and initial set-up funding for research is available. We are seeking outstanding early-career linguists ready to join a team with a long tradition of responding to the scientific, humanistic and social challenges posed by this region’s extraordinary linguistic diversity.

In addition to research, these positions will apply for competitive research funding, undertake some teaching, supervise PhD students and contribute to administrative activities within the School and the Department. We have a particular commitment to fieldwork-based research on little-known languages across the region, especially in its hotspots of fragile linguistic diversity (such as Melanesia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia).

As part of our drive to rectify historical gender imbalances in our linguistics program, we are particularly keen to encourage highly-qualified female applicants.

Further details of the positions can be obtained at:

 *   ANU Internal and external – http://jobs.anu.edu.au/PositionDetail.aspx?p=1879 <http://jobs.anu.edu.au/PositionDetail.aspx?p=1879>
 *   Seek – http://www.seek.com.au/Job/linguist/in/act/19199690 <http://www.seek.com.au/Job/linguist/in/act/19199690>

------ End of Forwarded Message