田夫

Basanta Doley drbasantakumardoley at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 3 10:06:11 UTC 2012

Dear Tibeto-Burmanist,
Thank you very much for communicating me regarding the suffix -pa in
Tibeto-Burman languages and its relationship with the Chinese
language. I am not so expert as to describe you about it. But as I am
a native speaker of one of Tibeto-Burman languages called Mising which
is a member of TANI languages widely spoken in Arunachal Pradesh in
India, I can give you the description of use of -pa: suffix in my
language. While you are asking Tibeto-Burman noun siffix -pa, in our
language it is a verbal suffix with long vowel. In fact, it is a root.
√pa: means 'to get, to have'. But since formation of a compound or
complex root is a characteristic feature of TB languages, it may be
added to another root, thus, /lu / 'to speak'+/pa:/+ dag (verbal
suffix in present tense) "have to speak".
With regards
Dr. B.K. Doley
Assam, India