query: checked/entering tone

Kristine Hildebrandt khildeb at SIUE.EDU
Thu Sep 20 23:47:10 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

In the process of compiling some tone and tone-related entries for a
forthcoming dictionary, I was asked whether the 'checked/entering tone'
which is frequently discussed with respect to Chinese dialects is a concept
invoked for other languages (possibly other Sino-Tibetan, but even more,
for other languages *outside* of the family altogether). My basic
journal/literature/even Google searches have not been very fruitful. Can
anyone help me with this?

Thank you,

--
Orche
('Thanks' in Manange)

*Kristine A. Hildebrandt*
*Associate Professor, Department of English Language & Literature
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville*
*Box 1431
Edwardsville, IL 62026 U.S.A.
618-650-3380 (office)*
*khildeb at siue.edu