Publishing

Stephen Morey S.Morey at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 4 06:10:24 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I want to clarify some of the comments I made earlier on this matter and apologise for not being as clear as I should have been. The opportunities for publishing grammars have been enhanced by the new situation of Pacific Linguistics, allowing for more electronic publication, and including the prospect of print on demand, already mentioned by Gwen Hyslop in her post a little earlier. I've now learned just how low the costs of the print on demand can be these days (for example a book of over 100 pages selling for $12 is available through Lulu as a guide to the kind of cost involved).

In my initial comments I only wanted to say that I wasn't sure whether the prospect of getting multiple copies at a very reasonable price for distribution / making available to communities was still there. It is now clear that PL at least is making provision for the low cost publication of hard copies and I'm certainly very pleased about that.

I'm immensely grateful to Pacific Linguistics, the Board and editors, who made it possible for me to get copies of earlier books at low cost so that they could be distributed into villages in North East India; I think there's at least one copy of the grammar in each village in which said language is spoken, and that is important.

I'm very sorry if my earlier comments have caused any problems; the response has certainly clarified in my mind that the future for publication and the making available of our materials to communities is looking very bright.

Stephen

Stephen Morey
Australian Research Council Future Fellow
Centre for Research on Language Diversity
La Trobe University
Website: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/rclt/StaffPages/morey.htm

Language data website: http://sealang.net/assam
Dictionary websites: http://sealang.net/ahom;  http://sealang.net/singpho; http://sealang.net/phake