New from Asian Highlands Perspectives - AHP 31: The Lost World of Ladakh: Early Photographic Journeys through Indian Himalaya, 1931-1934

Nathan Hill nathanwhill at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 28 14:37:38 UTC 2014

Dear Randy,

The Ladakh project is still very much around.

http://www.localfutures.org/

The founder, an MIT trained linguist, is Helena Norberg-Hodge. She came out
with a Ladakhi dictionary many years ago.

Ladakhi English English Ladakhi : dictionary
by Helena Norberg-Hodge;
Leh: The Ladakh Ecological Development Group, 1991.

Those interested may also want to know about SECMOL an education charity in
Ladakh.

http://www.secmol.org/index.php

Their publication arm, Melong, has the following two books.

Getting Started in Ladakhi. Rebecca Norman. Leh, Ladakh: Melong
Publications (2001).

Ladakhi—English—Urdu Dictionary with an English-Ladakhi index. Abdul Hamid.
Leh, Ladakh: Melong Publications (1998).

Rebecca Norman also has a draft dictionary that is much larger.

Dr Nathan W. Hill
Lecturer in Tibetan and Linguistics
Department of China & Inner Asia and Department of Linguistics
SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4220
--
Profile -- http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff46254.php
Tibetan Studies at SOAS -- http://www.soas.ac.uk/cia/tibetanstudies/