New from Asian Highlands Perspectives - AHP 31: The Lost World of Ladakh: Early Photographic Journeys through Indian Himalaya, 1931-1934

Bettina Zeisler zeis at UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE
Wed Jul 30 16:14:01 UTC 2014

Zitat von Randy LaPolla <randy.lapolla at gmail.com>:

>> Speaking of Ladakh, many years ago (1980's) at Berkeley I heard a
>> woman give a talk on "The Ladakhi Project", which was an attempt to
>> get the people in Ladakh to stop moving toward a petroleum-based
>> economy, and to help them go back to a self-sustaining economy with
>> things such as solar stoves and whatnot. The project included
>> writing a dictionary of the language. Does anyone know what
>> happened to that project?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Randy

Yes, Helena Norberg-Hodge has started many projects in Ladakh, first,
I think, LEDEG focussinbg on solar energy, second the Women's
Alliance, focussing on agriculture and self-reliance, and another one,
the name of which I just don,t remember. Apart from the dictionary,
which is a first approach to the dialect spoken in Leh, she has not
done much linguistic work and particularly nothing on or for language
preservation. While she started as a linguist, I was told to be aware
of her, as she would not really this kind of people. (I nevertheless
had a friendly exchange with her.) Thre is another NGO in Ladakh which
is more concerned about the language, although they could not do much
against the opposition of the scholars (they published a magazin,
which contained a Ladakhi section, but had to abolish it under fierce
pressure). They have published one more Ladakhi-English-Urdu
dictionary by Abdul Hamid (with quite some input by Rebecca Norman),
and this dictionary is already an improvement to the first one, but it
is out of stock now. Rebecca Norman is on the verge of publishing yet
another dictionary, which as far as I have seen, is yet another
improvement.

I, for my part, have been working on a Valency Dictionary on Ladakhi
verbs focussing on two rural dialects. A trial version is already
online, but for the time being not on the final host site (which
undergoes restructuring) but on our project server, which may not run
longer than another year.

Anyone interested in this work may have a look at

http://u-205-c242.ga19.uni-tuebingen.de/dictview/init_browse.action

Registration is required.

Jule from Ladakh
Bettina Zeisler