Please consider supporting our project to publish in indigenous languages

Zakaria Rehman rehman.zakaria at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 7 12:48:57 UTC 2014

Dear Tim Brookes

I am really glad to hear that you have taken initiative to produce some
books for the indigenous children in CHT. I have started working on Hyow in
2006 (I was an undergrad student then), primarily as a research assistant
of David Peterson (Chair, Program in Linguistics and Cognitive Science,
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH). Currently, I am enrolled in a PhD program
at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, under the supervision of
Dr. Alexander Coupe. Hopefully, I will be writing a grammar of Hyow.

I have grown a good friendship with the Hyow people in last 7-8 years.
Recently I visited Khamtangpara (Roangsori, Bandarban) and talked to the
Headman and other people about working on their writing system. I myself
was thinking about doing some storybooks for the Hyow children as an
appreciation to the community for sharing their knowledge with me. But, it
would take some time for me as I have just started my PhD.

I will be more than happy to help you if you need any from me. I wish you
all the best with your work.

Best
Zakaria

Muhammad Zakaria
PhD Candidate, Linguistics and Multilingual Studies