[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Words for tea

Stephen Morey S.Morey at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Nov 3 20:10:16 UTC 2014

Dear Katie,

In Singpho in India the word for 'tea' is pʰa¹lap², which is literally 'what leaf', based on a story in which two young men are in the forest, discover a leaf and ask its name. They then taste it and decide that it is good to drink.

The history of tea in North East India is about using local varieties, as the Wikipedia page on tea says:
"Tea was introduced into India by the British, in an attempt to break the Chinese monopoly on it. The British brought Chinese seeds into Northeast India but the plants failed; they later discovered that a different variety of tea was endemic to Assam and the Northeast region of India and that it was used by local tribes."

It is these local tribes whose languages I have been working on; and in North East India the Singpho are particularly credited as the group from whom the British obtained tea. Upper Assam is today an area of huge tea plantations and many Singpho villagers grow tea as well as rice.

In the various Tangsa varieties, the word is borrowed from Singpho, and undergoes various sound changes, as pʰalap, pʰelap, pʰiʔjaʔ, pʰeiʔlap and other similar forms.

In Singpho pʰa¹kʰaa⁴ is used for the bitter tea that is produced by brewing the traditional tea for some time. When I first tasted it I could barely swallow it but you get used to it and it's a good thing to have after a meal.

In the Tai languages, there is a different word, neŋ³ in Tai Phake, which is used for the plant. It is called nam³neŋ³ when drunk (nam³ 'water').

Stephen Morey
La Trobe University