[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Endangered alphabets and scripts in Bangladesh

Brookes, Tim brookes at champlain.edu
Sat Apr 11 22:48:23 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues

I’m sorry to have to pester you like this, and I would not do so unless it
was necessary, but my students and I need your help, urgently.

For the past two years, my Publishing students at Champlain College have
been designing and publishing classroom materials in endangered languages
for indigenous children in the Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh. Most
schools teach in the national language of Bangla, and in the Hill Tracts
this means children simply don’t understand what they’re being taught, and
drop out in staggering and depressing numbers. Fewer than 2% finish their
schooling.

But three schools now teach 650 children in their mother tongues, with
spectacular results—but they have no teaching materials.

My students have created classroom readers, coloring books (the first ever
seen in the region), alphabet wall charts, alphabet rubber stamps, and they
are now working on the first anthology of proverbs and oral-tradition
stories, gathered by the schoolchildren themselves, from the region.

We’ve launched a Kickstarter campaign (at
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/663870893/education-in-the-chittagong-hill-tracts)
to raise funds to print these books, and we have commitments of more than
$2,500, but we need to reach our goal of $4,000 or we get nothing.

Things have gone beyond urgent and are verging on the desperate.

We need to raise $500 a day for the next three days.

I hate to come knocking on your door like this, but if there’s any way you
could help to get the word out urgently, or make a contribution yourself,
my students would be very relieved and I’d be very grateful.

Thank you so much for anything you can do to help.

Tim

Tim Brookes

The Endangered Alphabets Project

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/663870893/education-in-the-chittagong-hill-tracts