[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Zeliangrong

Mark W. Post markwpost at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:37:28 UTC 2015

Dear Listmembers,

In the process of revising Rob Burling's (2003) chapter on NEIndian TB
langauges in the Routledge book, we're changing some subgroup names in
an effort to be more inclusive and/or neutral and in particular avoid
profiling languages of no particular phylogenetic significance in
nomenclature (in addition to keeping up with recent scholarship). One
proposal is to change Rob's (2003) "Zeme group" to "Zeliangrong". This
name is derived from the first syllables of the Zeme, Liangmei and
Rongmei languages/groups, which are the three major lects in this
subgroup. The name is of local coinage, and we gather that it's been in
widespread use since the 1920s at least. However, we're also aware that
it has a certain political connotation, namely association with a local
solidarity/freedom/independence movement
(http://www.jstor.org/stable/23620970). Since our perspective on this
area is very limited, and the literature we can access is not
necessarily itself unbiased, we are wondering if any listmembers can
advise on the appropriateness of this label.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark