[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Himalayan Linguistics 14.1 Released!

Kristine Hildebrandt khildeb at siue.edu
Tue Jun 30 14:57:59 UTC 2015

Dear *Himalayan Linguistics* Community:

Please read and share widely!

I am pleased to announce the release of *Himalayan Linguistics
<https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics>* volume 14.1 (June 2015).

https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics

14.1 contains three articles and one grammatical description. The
grammatical description, *Synoptic grammar of the Bumthang language*, by
George van Driem, can be found in our “Archive & Field Reports
<https://escholarship.org/uc/search?entity=himalayanlinguistics;volume=0;issue=1>”
section.

The three articles include:

*Issues in the historical phonology of Gauri Jingpho*, by Keita Kurabe

*An acoustic study of Bodo vowels*, by Priyankoo Sarmah, Leena Dihingia,
and Dimple Choudhury

*Eat and drink—if you can! A language internal explanation for the
‘irregular’ paradigm of Tibetan za, zos, zo ‘eat’, *by Bettina Zeisler

Note in particular that this is the first issue that includes supporting
materials in the form of sound files, for the Sarmah et al. article. To
access the sound files for this article, simply click on the link leading
to the article and then click another link on the left side of the page
“supporting material,” where you can then download the sound files (which
are individually indexed in the article itself). We very much look forward
to future publications that include multi-media supporting material. Please
contact Kristine Hildebrandt if you have any questions about this (
khildeb at siue.edu).

I would like to thank our editorial and advisory boards for assisting with
and facilitating peer-reviews, and I would like to especially thank our
assistant editor You-Jing Lin for doing the work that goes into formatting
and proofs before publication.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to give two reminders:

1. Our journal is now hosted only on the University of California’s
e-Scholarship portal (meaning, our legacy site is now gone). You can find
*HL* here: https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics

2. You can check for news and announcements on our “News from the Editor
<https://escholarship.org/uc/search?entity=himalayanlinguistics;view=news>”
section. Our latest announcement is for a call for papers:

CALL FOR PAPERS --- Tibetan Corpus Linguistics and NLP

*Himalayan Linguistics* solicits submissions to a special issue on Tibetan

Corpus Linguistics and Natural Language Processing to be published in 2016.

Possible topics include, OCR, the development of tag sets, statistical or

rule driven segmenters or part-of-speech taggers, chunking, syntactic

parsing, machine aided translation, descriptive linguistic insights gained

from corpus research, verb subcategorization, etc. All submissions will be

subject to double blind peer-review. Papers building on previous

non-anglophone research are particularly encouraged. As befits the broad

focus of the journal, authors are encouraged to write with an audience of

linguistics in mind who may not be familiar with NLP. In keeping with this

goal, articles of any length will be accepted and authors are encouraged to

take more space than is often possible in NLP or computationally focussed

journals. The deadline for this call is 15 January 2016.

--
Orche
('Thanks' in Manange)

*Kristine A. Hildebrandt*
*Associate Professor, Department of English Language & Literature*

*Senior co-Chair 2015, Committee on Endangered Languages and their
Preservation (CELP)Southern Illinois University Edwardsville*

*Box 1431Edwardsville, IL 62026 U.S.A.618-650-3380 (office)*

*khildeb at siue.edu <khildeb at siue.edu>http://www.siue.edu/~khildeb
<http://www.siue.edu/~khildeb>*