[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] postponement of ICSTLL50

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 12:26:44 UTC 2017

Hi All,
As you heard earlier, the 50th International Conference on Sino-Tibetan Languages and Linguistics has been moved from mid October to late November. As I understand it, the move initially was to avoid being at the same time as the CCP Party Congress, during which security will be incredibly tight, and so Beijing will practically be in lockdown, so it is best not to have the conference at that time. They had wanted to just move it to early November, but the venue was booked until the 24th, so they booked the earliest time possible.

I hope everyone will still come to the conference! It is the 50th, so quite a significant milestone, and there will be a special talk by Prof. James A. Matisoff, one of the eight original founders of the Conference back in 1968, on the history and development and possible future of the Conference.

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)| Professor of Linguistics and Chinese | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://randylapolla.net/
Most recent book:
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324