[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] New Book

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:04:14 UTC 2018

Hi All,
I recently put together a four-volume collection of important articles in Sino-Tibetan linguistics, with introductions contextualising the articles and talking about what has been done since the articles were published. I did this as a tribute to the earlier generation of linguists for their contributions, but also as a starting point for young scholars getting into the field and for veterans who just want to have easy access to classic articles. Routledge limited me to 1500 pages, and wanted only journal articles, so there were constraints on what I could choose, though I did manage to get a couple of important articles in that weren’t from journals. As I say in the preface, the choice of articles was a personal one, based on my 40+ years in the field, though I read or reread hundreds of articles in making my decisions.

Here is a link to the book, which came out at the end of October, and is now included in Routledge’s Christmas sale for the low-low price of £720 (I’m not making this up! the normal price is £900!):

https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>

If you would like to read pre-publication drafts of the frontmatter and introductions, you can download them here:

Combined frontmatter:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7xqhfe6oizdm1f/00_STL_Combined%20Frontmatter.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7xqhfe6oizdm1f/00_STL_Combined%20Frontmatter.pdf?dl=0>

Volume I Establishing the relations:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kru3e8lew0ey9zx/1A00b_STL_Volume_1_Introduction.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/kru3e8lew0ey9zx/1A00b_STL_Volume_1_Introduction.pdf?dl=0>

Volume II Language contact:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wmb72gy1wuqjy9/200b_STL_Volume_2_Introduction.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wmb72gy1wuqjy9/200b_STL_Volume_2_Introduction.pdf?dl=0>

Volume III Sinitic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ochu8lbolz56ar/3A00b_STL_Volume_3_Introduction.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ochu8lbolz56ar/3A00b_STL_Volume_3_Introduction.pdf?dl=0>

Volume IV Tibeto-Burman:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e34q8l3zb741bgn/400b_STL_Volume_4_Tibeto-Burman-Introduction.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/e34q8l3zb741bgn/400b_STL_Volume_4_Tibeto-Burman-Introduction.pdf?dl=0>

Hope they can be of use.

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive | Singapore 637332
http://randylapolla.net/ <http://randylapolla.net/>
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)