[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Fwd: sad news

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 14:55:27 UTC 2019

Begin forwarded message:

From: 長野泰彦 <nagano0207 at icloud.com>
Subject: sad news
Date: 15 November 2019 at 9:29:01 PM SGT
To: Nagano <ynagano at kawachi.zaq.ne.jp>

Dear Colleagues,

I regret to inform you that Professor Yoshio NISHI passed away on August 3, 2019. He was 85 years old.

I will never forget his sincerity towards TB studies. May his soul rest in peace.

Sincerely yours,

Y. Nagano

長野泰彦 Yasuhiko NAGANO
Professor of Linguistics, Emeritus
National Museum of Ethnology, Japan
E-mail: nagano0207 at icloud.com <mailto:nagano0207 at icloud.com>

I personally worked with Prof. Nishi quite a bit around the turn of the century. He was a generally quiet scholar who didn’t travel far (I think due to health problems), but was active and influential through his writings, which were carefully done and useful. His main language was Burmese, and he helped me get set up doing fieldwork in Burma in the mid 1990’s, but he also wrote important work on Tibetan and some of the languages of Nepal, and also some more general papers. I have asked Prof. Nagano for Prof. Nishi’s bio.

Randy