[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Fwd: Many thanks

Johann-Mattis List mattis.list at lingulist.de
Wed Oct 14 04:03:10 UTC 2020

Dear all,

surprisingly few people know Humanities Commons, a nice OPEN alternative
to Academia.edu and Researchgate, which I now use to publish all my
preprints and my author's copies in case I publish with non open-access
journals. You have many similar functions to Academia, including your
own website and following other's research. I recommend you to try it
out: https://hcommons.org, we need more linguists there, and in contrast
to HAL, they offer DOIs, which makes the studies more easily
identifiable, and they are surprisingly quick in publishing.

Furthermore, I now tend to upload all papers (which I am allowed to
upload) freely to Humanities Commons first, so everybody can access them
by their DOI, and then I paste a one-pager with the DOI link into a PDF
which I share with Academia or Researchgate, to account for the laziness
of many people, who "demand" papers which they could also find on my
personal homepage. So the PDF says: please download the paper FREELY
from this link. I have the impression, Academia.edu has had a bad impact
on many colleagues in so far as it gives them the impression that one
would not have to search for papers outside of the website, while
searching for publications has always been an integral part of science.

In this way, neither Academia nor Researchgate can use copies of papers
which are anyway open access (either as author's copies, or in general).

I recommend you to do something similar. There is science outside of
these commercial providers. We need to start to reclaim what is
naturally ours.

Best,

Mattis