[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Robbins Burling (1926-2021)

Mark Post mark.post at sydney.edu.au
Wed Jan 6 06:39:52 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I’ve been informed by Rob Burling’s family that Rob passed away in Michigan on Sunday, January 3rd, after a sudden decline in health. Born on April 18, 1926 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Rob was 94 years old. He is survived by three children, Nono, Steve and Adele.

I don’t need to underscore what a great loss this is to our field - many listmembers have known Rob and his work for decades longer than I have. A reasonably complete bibliography of Rob’s work may be found in the Festschrift that was organized for him a few years ago, which is available for free download here, among other places: https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/38458.

If anyone would like to get in touch to share condolences with Rob’s family, please let me know and I’ll be happy to pass along an email address or two.

Wishing everyone well in the new year,
Mark