[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Mozilla Common Voice

Nathan Hill nh36 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 18:18:03 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I have just been watching the videos associated with the ComputEL4
conference (Computational Linguistics on Endangered Languages), which
brought my attention to this open source project to develop audio data for
different languages.

https://commonvoice.mozilla.org/en/languages

This allows researchers to do things like work on automatic speech
recognition or speech synthesis. Of course it won't be suitable for every
community, but for some quite small languages I can imagine that a few
volunteers might already make a large enough collection to radically change
the technological support available for a language, so I thought I would
draw it to everyone's attention.

very best,
Nathan