[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] TB Studies on linguistic encoding of plant–human interactions

Rodo Pfister rodoX at gmx.net
Wed Mar 24 15:23:13 UTC 2021

Dear Kristine,

I surely will appreciate when you feed back your list, maybe with the
option of a second round? 😛

No doubt it includes already the following item?

Chirkova Katia, Huber Franz K., Weckerle Caroline S., Daudey Henriette &
Pincuo Gerong

2016 /Plant Names as Traces of the Past in Shuiluo Valley, China/,

in: Journal of Ethnobiology 36(1): 192-214.

<https://doi.org/10.2993/0278-0771-36.1.192
<https://doi.org/10.2993/0278-0771-36.1.192>>

[Abstract: This study presents results of interdisciplinary fieldwork in
Southwest China by a team of linguists and ethnobotanists. It is based
on a comparative analysis of 70 common plant names in five Tibeto-Burman
languages spoken in Shuiluo Valley. The discussion focuses on (a) names
for locally important field crops and (b) plant names that are shared
between two or more languages. We make a preliminary stratification of
cognates and loanwords; we advance hypotheses about the sources of
loanwords; and we assess the distribution of loanwords against the
background of the existing historical and linguistic accounts of the
studied languages. The observed patterns shed light on the complex
migration history in the area and identify a group of plant names which
may originate in a linguistic variety which was once (or still is)
native to Shuiluo.Keywords: plant name, loanword, cognate, language
contact, linguistic history, Tibeto-Bur­man.]

Enjoy the day
rodo