[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] ALT Georg von der Gabelentz Award

Kristine Hildebrandt khildeb at siue.edu
Tue Aug 2 18:40:53 UTC 2022

Greetings everyone,

I don't know if attachments work on this list-serv, so the attachment might
not come through. If not, please email me if you want a copy of the ALT
issue 61 newsletter, and I'll send a copy individually. I just wanted to
call attention to the Georg von der Gabelentz Award (for highest quality
reference grammar), towards the end of the newsletter. The top prize went
to Christian Döheler for their grammar of Komnzo (Papua New Guinea).

But, ALT gives honorable mention and identifies shortlisted entries. Having
served on this committee multiple times, I know that all of the entries
that make it into the top prize/honorable mention/shortlist are of truly
excellent quality, and that there was likely a long debate before the top
prize was chosen.

So, *all* of the shortlisted grammars in this category (which had many
submissions) represent important and excellent work on
Tibeto-Burman/Trans-Himalayan languages:

Tim Bodt: Duhumbi
Chris Donlay: Khatso
Marius Zemp: Purik Tibetan

I have copies of all of these grammars, and I have been enjoying and
learning from them as I do my own work. Congratulations are in order to
these colleagues of ours!

--
----
Orche

Kristine Hildebrandt
https://namedrop.io/kristineahildebrandt
Professor, English Language & Literature
<https://www.siue.edu/artsandsciences/english/faculty-staff/hildebrandt.shtml>
Co-Director, The IRIS Digital Humanities Center <https://iris.siue.edu/>
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
President, Endangered Language Fund <http://www.endangeredlanguagefund.org/>
Editorial board member, *Himalayan Linguistics
<https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics>*

*Southern Illinois University Edwardsville exists in and serves a region
that includes the lands of the Kiikaapoi (treaty in Edwardsville, 1819);
The Illinois Confederacy, including the Peoria, Kaskaskia, Michigamea,
Cahokia, and Tamaroa (treaty in Edwardsville, 1818); Dhegiha Siouan
peoples; and others. We affirm their contemporary and ancestral ties to the
land and their contributions to this place. In alignment with the academic
mission of the institution, we are committed to building responsible
relationships with indigenous communities through the development of
educational pathways and opportunities for indigenous students and the
advancement of research and knowledge about indigenous peoples, cultures,
and histories.*