Discussion: Nostratic

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 20 19:17:55 UTC 2000

Dear Uralists,

Patrick C. Ryan sent us a message asking for Uralists' assistance in his
Nostratic studies. I did not forward it to the list at once, the most
important reason being that the link he gave did not work. I can imagine
that most of us are - to put it mildly - wary of proto-language comparisons
based on secondary sources, without first-hand expertise, and that most of
us are simply very, very weary of "discussing" these matters with
over-energetic laymen. However, being also very, very tired, I do not want
to censor any contributions merely on this basis, and forward the following
message (the most relevant parts of our discussion, with PR1 for excerpts of
the original message, JL for my comments, and PR2 for Pat's meta-comments).
Please feel free to form your opinion.

Best,

Johanna