Conclusions concerning issue 2 & 3

Klaas Ruppel Klaas.Ruppel at domlang.fi
Tue Jun 6 07:30:43 UTC 2000

Dear Uralists!

In the light of the recent discussion and the discussion especially
about ENG we also had circa a year ago I draw the following
conclusions:

1. Use IPA characters if available.
2. Use Greek Symbol THETA and PHI.

In the case of ENG the situation is complicated. I come here with a
new suggestion as a conclusion of the arguments given. The facts we
build on are the following:
a) Latin letter ENG stands for the sound in question, but its form
differs from Greek ETA.
b) Greek letter ETA stands for a totally different sound.
c) In existing FUPA texts this letter has the form of Greek ETA and
is expressly addressed as Greek ETA.

d) As a new fact in the discussion I now realized that both, ENG and
ETA, could have been used in the same FUPA text having a different
meaning. This is the fact in Karjalainens' ostyak manuscripts. The
manuscripts will be published by the Finno-Ugric Society. Even if the
transcription in the publication will be simplified, in the
introduction there will both be printed.

This brings me to the conclusion that we have to propose a
(latinized/Latin) ETA for FUPA. I do not know what could be the name
of this letter since LATIN LETTER ENG is already in use. Suggestions?
--
|\ |\ |\  Klaas Ruppel http://www.domlang.fi/english.html