FUPA proposal

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Tue Feb 19 12:22:41 UTC 2002

[Pekka Sammallahti wrote:]
>Dear Uralists,
>
>The affricate problem is a real one since there is a discrepancy in the
>system which can't be corrected with a double letter (how should one mark a
>palatalized double letter etc.).

Use two accents and an undertie?

>I have used the lowered-3-like letter for voiced apical affricates
>and a similar letter with a loop in the descender for the voiceless
>or semivoiced lenis affricates (The Saami Languages 1998:173).

I like that solution, and both the ezh and the ezh with loop are
already encoded in the UCS. We should add the ezh with loop to our
list of characters used in FUPA, though.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html