"Roots" discussion website

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Sun Nov 10 17:25:02 UTC 2002

Dear Uralists,

with a few days' delay (due to my participation at the 50th anniversary of
the Dept. of Finno-Ugrian Studies at the University of Debrecen and the
discussion panel dedicated to the question of the Finno-Ugrian
"relatedness"), I forward a message from Merlijn De Smit
(isolintu at hotmail.com), announcing a website which I find very useful,
providing arguments for and (especially ;-) ) against the so-called
"root-seekers" -- or, rather, dendrophobiacs ;-) . (My personal views on
these questions should become clear from a few links contained therein as
well. But, regardless of your opinion, please visit this website and enjoy!

Best,
Johanna
--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Institut für Finno-Ugristik der Universität Wien

----------

This is a public service announcement!
I recently put up a website dedicated to providing an on-line and an
off-line bibliography concerning the "Roots"-discussion, to provide hapless
Uralist internet surfers with a guide to the increasingly labyrinthine
amount of material published on the matter and to indoctrinate them with my
own views at the same time.
The site can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/isolintu/voodoo.html
Warning! My own comments are not particularly objective, rather biased
actually, and occasionally mean-spirited. This said, any comments,
links/references etc. are welcome.

Regards,
Merlijn de Smit
Turku