Query: Finnish suffix -ttAin

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Wed Oct 6 12:31:33 UTC 2004

>From Torodd Kinn (torodd.kinn at roman.uib.no)

(apologies for cross-postings)

Dear Finnish linguists,

I am looking for literature on the Finnish suffix "-ttAin" and words
formed with it,
like "sadoittain, kaksittain, päivittäin, perättäin, suomalaisittain".

Any references to work -- old or new -- on the
- meaning
- grammar
- history
of such formations would be much appreciated.
Literature in any Germanic or Romance language as well as in Finnish is
of interest
(although, unfortunately, my Finnish reading skills leave much to be
desired).

I'm interested in "-ttAin" formations because, in all their diversity,
they are strikingly similar to Scandinavian expressions involving the
suffix "-vis" or the noun "vis", which I've been studying for some time.
I'd like to look into this similarity: Have the Finnish and the
Scandinavian pattern evolved independently (evidencing several very
similar grammaticalization paths), or are they due to language contact
(Swedish influence on Finnish)? Does anyone have an opinion about this?

Please respond to me rather than the list. If there is an interest, I
will post a summary.

Regards,
Torodd Kinn

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address