Adobe may abandon Mari, Udmurtian and Komi letters in new Cyrillic character set

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Fri Aug 4 14:22:37 UTC 2006

>From Juhani Lehtiranta (juhani.lehtiranta at kolumbus.fi) :

A famous software company Adobe is going to introduce a new Cyrillic
character set, which will include many additional characters for some
major languages applying the Cyrillic script.

In the list there are named several languages, but some important
minority languages of the Russian Federation are missing: Mari languages
and Udmurtian. There are also some in the document mentioned languages,
which Adobe will not support: e.g.. Bashkir, Chuvash and Komi-Zyryan and
Komi-Permyak.

Please read this blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2006/08/defining_an_ext.html

Now it's possible to give feedback to Adobe. I personally think, that
the only sustainable solution is to support the whole Cyrillic character
set. You can not simply pick your favorite minority languages and
abandon the other.

best
Juhani Lehtiranta