Discussion: Our ethical responsibility

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Thu Dec 14 16:14:16 UTC 2006

Dear Mr Botos, dear colleagues,

I only forward this message (below) to the URA-LIST as an example of a
direction I DO NOT want to pursue further (and as an example of e-mails, the
kind of which will probably clutter my mailbox in the next few days...). A
debate between academic researchers of geography and "true believers" of the
Flat Earth Society does not belong to an academic context, and this list is
for scholarly, unpolitical purposes only.

What I wanted to discuss was the role of the international community of
linguists and their responsibility for the possible misuse of their works.
Everything else, as I hoped I could make clear, is politics, ideology, an
internal trauma of the Hungarian society, a kind of a religious belief (as a
closer scrutiny of certain expressions in Mr Botos's e-mail will reveal) or
something else outside my capacities and competence. (I already have some
experiences of discussions with Hungarian Anti-Finno-Ugrists and will not
waste my time and energy by argumenting against quasi-religious
convictions.)

The scientific core of the problem: There is nothing wrong about a linguist
making weakly founded or patently false claims about the Uralic language
affinity -- as Angela Marcantonio and some others, in my view, have done --
AND subjecting them to a normal criticism on scholarly fora. (Angela
Marcantonio's book, although the normal review process of the publisher
obviously had some weak points in this case, has been reviewed by numerous
scholars, who have pointed out its flaws in a clear and objective manner --
see e.g. http://linguistlist.org/issues/14/14-1963.html for a detailed
criticism by Ante Aikio.) Nobody will be executed, everybody has the right
to state what he believes.

BUT: the problem arises when a scholar does not react to scholarly
discussion but, heedless of the devastating criticism, goes on spreading
his/her ideas on popular fora -- i.e. to people who do not have the
expertise to distinguish scientifically founded research results from
flim-flam -- supporting this (or allowing this to be supported) with his/her
academic titles and the reputation of his/her university. THIS is the
responsibility question I wanted to discuss; everything else I leave for
other occasions and to other, preferably Hungarian experts.

Best
Johanna Laakso

PS. The "hate mails" have started to come, too:

> But this time our patience is over. The days of finno-ugrian origin and common
> uralic  language are numbered.  You coud do whatever you want,  still you
> could impress less and less people with your stupid theory and you'll be shown
> in cages while educated people will be pointing  at you with their fingers as
> rare beings.
(Szakács Gábor, leader of the Association of Forrai Sándor's Runic Writers
in Hungary)

Thanks to all those colleagues who have bothered to send me a few nice
words...
***

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html