helimski.com website: Correction and apology

Stefan Georg Georg-Bonn at t-online.de
Sun Sep 2 10:05:14 UTC 2007

> Dear Ura-list's readers,

While it may be technically correct to describe contents made
accessible on the internet as publicly available, this fact does not
waive the general rules of decency and proper scholarly conduct,
among which the rule to ask the owner for permission before citing/
quoting/re-using such contents is not the least important one.
In this respect, alerting others to the existence of a website seems
to be perfectly OK, but insisting that everything found there is
public property and attacking people who add a friendly addition by
the owner of the respective intellectual property about its proper
and intended use is certainly not.

I have been alerted to the existence of the said website weeks ago on
a private channel and find it extremely useful. But it should *go
without saying* that only the papers and materials *published on
paper in some (sometimes difficult to access) outlet* can be regarded
as quotable "public domain", while unpublished and visibly unfinished
contents *obviously are not* and would *in any case* require to
contact their owner before making any use of them which goes beyond
purposes of personal education and learning.

I can see no reason for polemicizing against the expressed wish of
the owner of this intellectual property, much less against the
colleague who makes this wish publicly known.

Stefan Georg

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html