Mari chars for Windows? (L ászló Fejes)

Denis Sacharnych denis at idnakar.ru
Wed Feb 13 18:46:05 UTC 2008

<zitiere wer="Fejes László">

Some reasons are explained here: http://udmurt.info/texts/udmfont-pc.pdf

>  There are some Linux distributions which are made specially for the
>  Russian speaking community (one of them will be used in schools:
>  http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/09/14/266177), the
>  developers of them are the ones who should be asked to include the
>  Mari characters in fonts.

Let me describe the situation in brief outline.

a. The problem with 'Extended Cyrillic' in Windows fonts is now completely
solved (in Vista; but the Open Type fonts, namely Times New Roman, Courier
New, Arial, Tahoma, and Microsoft Sans Serif, may be used on the minor
versions of Windows too);

b. The same problem in Linux is also completely solved (the Open Type
fonts with 'Extended Cyrillic' are suitable for Windows too);

c. The problem with Windows keyboard layouts for the languages using
'Extended Cyrillic' is now partially solved, and may be solved completely
without any difficulties;

d. The same problem with Linux keyboard layouts is only partially solved:
some languages have their layout (e.g. Ossetian, Tatar, Udmurt), but some
languages have not; my expirience with Linux is very poor, but it seems
that the completely solution of this problem is possible without any
difficulties;

e. The problem with system support of the Volga-Uralic languages in
Windows is also partially solved (e.g. Tatar takes his place in the list
of languages recognized by Windows and, as far as I know, it has even
localized versions of some Microsoft software). This problem may not be
solved by some third party, it belongs to the competention of the
programmers of Microsoft.

>  In fact, knowing Russia, I do not really believe that most of the
>  users buy Windows -- they use them illegally instead.

It doesn't matter, whether the copies are illegal or they are not.

D.

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html