Ethics of Copying Finno-Ugric Books

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Feb 25 20:49:55 UTC 2008

At 22:35 +0200 2008-02-25, Christopher Culver wrote:

>I'm particularly worried about typesetting
>issues---I would hate to see the book finally translated and then
>typeset in something as inappropriate as Word like all too many recent
>Mari publications.

I would typeset it professionally, as I have with my own Breton
Grammar, which you can "Search Inside!" at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904808115/evertype-21

>While I think translating the book into English would certainly be
>helpful, one doesn't have to work too hard. As Finno-Ugrianists will
>end up learning Russian eventually--and the sooner the better--a
>simple translation of the book as it was would suffice in the
>meantime.

I would err on the side of generosity in terms of glossary entries.

>  Maybe my impatience for an English translation is
>showing. My fellow students have to go without coherent materials now,
>and I simply fear that any translation would finally appear years from
>now.

Time to publication once the translation is done would not be very
long. I reset my Breton Grammar (including converting it to Unicode)
and it took less than a week certainly. Proofing takes time.
(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html