Symposium: Uralic Typology 2010

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 13 17:48:27 UTC 2009

>From Ferenc Havas (contact addresses see below):
****

Dear Fellow Colleagues, Uralists and Typologists!

Given that I am not one of the organisers of the Eleventh International
Congress of Finno-Ugrists to be held in Piliscsaba, Hungary, August 2010, I
do not know at this time if you will be attending this major event. In any
case, I would like to (once again) draw your attention to the typological
symposium, which forms a separate section of the Congress.
This symposium is planned to consist of two parts:
The first part will be devoted entirely to the issue of the Uralic Typology
Database Project (see http://www.univie.ac.at/urtypol/index.html
<http://www.univie.ac.at/urtypol/index.html> ). Plans are to give detailed
information on its contents as well as its organisational and financial
aspects, in addition to making recommendations on practical measures to
initiate the international research work to be conducted within the project.
Everyone is invited to join in the ensuing discussion with those linguists
who had taken part in the preparation of the project with their questions
recommendations or contributions. Our goal is to make possible the actual
building of the database ­ which is likely to take years ­ to begin in
earnest immediately after the Congress.
The second part of the symposium will be reserved for shorter or longer
talks that were accepted by the organisers on synchronic or diachronic
aspects of the typological description of Uralic languages. This will then
constitute the general typological section of the Congress.
You are welcome to join either section of the symposium. Despite any
official information you may have read or heard, the organisors are still
accepting new participants. Please do not hesitate to register if you are
interested (see details on the website for the Congress:
http://fu11.btk.ppke.hu/eng/main.php?p=kongresszusrol
<http://fu11.btk.ppke.hu/eng/main.php?p=kongresszusrol> ).
Colleauges already registered, as well as those registering now, are
requested to let me know (by email) about their readiness to participate in
the work of the typological symposium and to indicate the title or topics of
their presentation if they intend to deliver one.
As a rule of thumb you should limit your presentation to 20 minutes with
another 10 minutes for subsequent discussion.
Abstracts for presentation during the symposium are welcome as well but not
obligatory, unless you would like to see them printed in the preliminary
program of the Congress.

Yours,

Ferenc Havas

Ferenc Z. Havas, Professor of Linguistics
Head of Department of Finno-Ugric Studies at ELTE University
Office: ELTE BTK Finnugor Tanszék
Budapest, VIII. Múzeum krt. 4/i
Mailing address: 1364 Budapest Pf. 107.; Tel./Fax: (36-1) 485-52-53
Email: fhavas at ludens.elte.hu
Residence: Városmajor u. 3/a, 1122 Budapest, Hungary
Tel.: (+36-1) 355-18-36; Mob.: (+36) 30 569 65 11
Email: hfz at iif.hu

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html