CFP: BEDLAN 2010

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 19 08:30:27 UTC 2010

Forwarded, a seminar call (NB - deadline extended!) For more information,
please contact the organisers!
--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und

BEDLAN2010
COMBINING NATURAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES
Funded by
Kone Foundation

BEDLAN2010 is an interdisciplinary seminar organized by project Biological
Evolution and Diversification of Languages (funded by Kone Foundation
2009-2012). The seminar gathers together researchers and PhD-students
interested in fusing different disciplines to study linguistic, cultural and
biological evolution. We call for researchers from different fields to get a
glimpse on the different approaches, methods and datasets and to exchange
best practices and methods. The topics of presentations will cover e.g.
comparative linguistics, sociolinguistics, evolutionary ecology, population
genetics, phylogenetics, geography and usage of spatial information.
However, the key issue is not your present research topic but the motivation
to learn from others and derive your own know-how. We encourage PhD students
to submit applications, as the seminar could also act as forum for the young
interdisciplinary researchers to meet each other.

BEDLAN2010 takes place in the Archipelago of Turku, in Archipelago Research
Institute (University of Turku) the 22­24th of September 2010 with a
possibility to extent the stay over weekend. We are able to compensate the
travel expenses and accommodation for 25-30 persons (depending on the total
amount needed). There is room for about 20 talks including the invited
speakers (for more details, see Kielievoluutio.uta.fi).

Please submit a short description of your motivation to participate the
meeting, a summary of your potential presentation or your research field
(max 250 words) and the estimated travel costs. The applications should be
sent by 23th of August to Outi Vesakoski via e-mail (see below). We will
decide for the participant and the travel support by 25th of August.
For more information, contact your nearest BEDLAN-person:
Terhi.Honkola at utu.fi    Kaj.Jaakko.Syrjanen at uta.fi Jyri.Lehtinen at helsinki.fi
Outi.Vesakoski at utu.fi Urho.Maatta at uta.fi    Kalle.Korhonen at helsinki.fi
In co-operation with KOTUS, Research
Institute for the Languages of Finland