CFP: Emotions in & around language

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Wed May 12 12:23:49 UTC 2010

Forwarded, the 2nd circular of the seminar "Emotions in & around language".
For more information please contact the organiser.
--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, EVSL Abteilung Finno-Ugristik

EMOTIONS IN & AROUND LANGUAGE
TIME:  23th-24th September, 2010
LOCATION:  Institute of the Estonian Language, Tallinn, Estonia
PURPOSE: Our purpose is to assemble the researchers and students interested
in the interaction of language and emotion in order to exchange ideas and
information. Presentations on the following topics are welcomed: literal
emotion terms, figurative descriptions, metaphors, expression of emotion in
speech and written text, morphology, syntax, the emotional speech acts etc.
How does language express, convey, or even arouse emotions? The process of
acquisition of emotion language by children or L2 speakers is also a topic
of high interest. Which emotions are related to one’s mother tongue and its
usage?  And possibly many more topics related to the ones mentioned above.
New! KEYNOTE SPEAKERS & TENTATIVE TITLES:
Ad Foolen   (Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands):
The relevance of emotion for language and linguistics.
Jordan Zlatev   (Lund University, Sweden):
Emotion as Motion: A matter of language, cognition, or both?
Aivars Glaznieks (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany)
The appearance of idioms in children's emotion lexicon

PARTICIPANTS: We invite linguists as well as psychologists, anthropologists
and even students of political science or media and advertising to
participate. Basically everyone who feels that the topic of emotion—language
interaction (or the affectivity in language in more general terms) is or
will be relevant in the purpose of their own research is welcomed at the
seminar.
LANGUAGE: The presentations will be held either in English or Estonian.
CONTRIBUTION: The event will be free of charge.
THE DATES: Please submit the title of your presentation and a short abstract
by June the 15th at the latest. In case you already have an idea, please do
not hesitate to submit it sooner – the earlier we will know the people and
potential topics, the more time we will have to organize a high-quality
event. Feedback about acceptance to the seminar will be sent by the 1st of
July 2010.
REGISTRATION: September, the 1st via e-mail: Ene.Vainik at eki.ee
<mailto:Ene.Vainik at eki.ee> .
CONTACT: Ene.Vainik at eki.ee <mailto:Ene.Vainik at eki.ee>
PROPOSALS: We welcome ideas and proposals and also some volunteers in order
to help us make the event as interesting and pleasant as possible.
MORE INFORMATION: keep your eye on the web page of the event
http://portaal.eki.ee/kalender.html
<http://portaal.eki.ee/keelekalender.html> for the latest updates.

New! ACCOMODATION:
Hotel St Barbara
(http://www.stbarbara.ee/Default.aspx?LangID=12&PageID=157&Redirect=true)
<(http:/www.stbarbara.ee/Default.aspx>
We have  an agreement of special price – for the periood 22. 0910—25.09.10.
You have to mention the booking number 025268. This offer is valid until
15.06.10
Single room  700 EEK (about 45 EUR).
Double room 800 EEK (about 52 EUR)

 A student option — hostel „Euphoria“ http://www.euphoria.ee/Euphoria.html
SUPPORT: The event is supported by ETF grant No 7149 (“The dynamic aspects
of conceptualisations of emotions”), the targeted financing project
SF0050023s09 („Modelling intermodular phenomena in Estonian“) and the EKI’s
project of basic financing for the year 2010 „Creating a framework for
detecting the affect-biasedness of lexical items in the Estonian“.

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html