About the estimates of divergence times of Uralic languages

Ante Aikio ante.aikio at oulu.fi
Wed Sep 29 07:42:57 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I absolutely agree with the comments Merlijn de Smit and Santeri
Junttila brought up. It is very important to keep in mind that 1)
proto-language datings usually derive from complex chains of reasoning
based on very indirect evidence, and a discovery new evidence or
reinterpretation of old data may lead to dramatic changes in datings;
2) because the breaking up of a proto-language is a slow process, it
cannot be assigned a specific point of time - defining a time frame
with a 'terminus ante quem' and 'terminus post quem' is a more
reasonable approach.

Then regarding Terhi Honkola's original question:

The dating chosen for Proto-Ob-Ugric, 1700 YBP ± 200 years, seems
highly unrealistic to me. It is true that such datings have been
frequently proposed, especially in Hungarian research; they seem to be
based on no clear evidence, though, and they are in any case at odds
with very basic realities of linguistic taxonomy. We can compare
Ob-Ugric to branches that are known to have a period of internal
divergence of about 1500-2000 years, namely Finnic and Saamic. It is
quite clear that the Ob-Ugric languages Khanty and Mansi are *much*
more distantly related to each other than, for instance, the Finnic
languages are. Khanty and Mansi share much less vocabulary (including
basic vocabulary), and there are quite dramatic grammatical and
phonological differences between the languages. Their greater degree
divergence is also reflected in difficulties in reconstruction - there
is no well-argued, detailed reconstruction on Proto-Ob-Ugric so far,
in the sense there is of Proto-Finnic and Proto-Saami.

Further problems may be caused by uncertainties in linguistic
taxonomy. I assume 'Early Proto-Finnic' is to be understood as
referring to the same level of reconstruction as 'Proto-Finno-Saamic',
as traditionally is the case. At the moment there is controversy
whether 'Finno-Saamic' should be recognized as a valid genetic node,
and I think we can safely say at least that the proposed innovations
defining such a subgroup have, for the most part, also alternative
explanations (mainly language contact). In such a case, I do not see
it as very good idea to choose that level of reconstruction as a
'calibration point', as we might very well be trying to date a
proto-language that did not really even exist as a coherent entity.

best regards,
Ante Aikio

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html