Query

Florian Siegl florian.siegl at gmx.net
Tue Oct 30 12:42:24 UTC 2012

Well, we could count 10-20 L2 speakers of Livonian. But how do we go
further? What about L2 speakers of Northern Saami, Udmurt, Komi etc? Any
ideas how to get reliable data? We cannot send them all to Inari to get
your judgement!

What we are after is a reasonably realistic picture which means that the
principles should apply for all languages. Personally, a note "reversing
language shift" sounds good and could be thought of as label. But then,
we need long term results and efforts to show that this category is
meaningful. At the current moment I would not add "reversing language
shift - language nest" to Forest Enets and Nganasan; initialization is
the first step but it will need some time to see whether this has a
future and whether this really will produce new speakers. No objections
for adding this label to e.g. Inari Saami and South Saami, but again we
would need a relatively coherent framework as I already pointed out.
What about Mordvin? How many local language nests do you need so that we
can add the label "reversing language shift" to the language as a whole?
Could you work out such a framework and could you contribute such data?

 From the perspective of language revitalization, minority languages and
sociology of language I understand Annika's concerns about those 10-20
Livonian L2 speakers very well. But old-fashioned linguists write
grammars and dictionaries based on the competence of L1 speakers and not
(yet) on grammars of L2 speakers. There are disciplines which do that
e.g. language X as a foreign language, but this is not what we are
after. The discriminative idea of L1 speakers is underlying the current
approach but in contrast to state-cencuses, we have no problems
admitting that most of the L1 speakers of minor Uralic languages are in
fact bilingual. And even a young L1 speaker of Inari Saami who is also
fluent in Finnish has to decide what language he or she claims as a
mother tongue when approaching the state. At least in this parameter,
the current approach is less false...

Best wishes,

Florian

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address