Akkala at the KSDP archive

Michael Rießler michael.riessler at skandinavistik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Oct 31 10:26:01 UTC 2012

Dear all,

thanks to Elisabeth Scheller (see her last post "Re: Query" to this list), I could correct the metadata about the Akkala recordings at the KSDP archive. "Kola Saami Documentation Project" was obviously the wrong project description, but appeared there due to my carelessness and a copy-and-paste error. Unfortunately, there are more gaps, inconsistencies and mistakes in the Kola Saami archive and for a lot of recorded data even the most basic metadata are still completely missing. These recordings are of course excluded from being listed in the archive catalogue at present. However, as the Kola Saami Documentation Project is ongoing (current project funding runs until 2015) I am permanently working with the Kola Saami language documentation, i.e. improving the archive structure, correcting and updating existent data as well as uploading new data to the archive.

I want to stress that Elisabeth Scheller's Akkala Saami recordings as well as personal metadata on her Akkala Saami consultant were never "spread via the internet" or otherwise made accessible by me. The files could not be downloaded, instead the data were stored at the archive along with the explicit statement, that "access to this resource can be requested from the collector" (i.e. Elisabeth Scheller) inluding a link to an online data request form. Basic catalogue metada is nevertheless the most basic requirement for archiving, otherwise you do not know that the data exist (and you cannot ask the collector for permission).

Originally we agreed with Elisabeth Scheller that her Akkala Saami interviews should be archived without making the audio files and annotations freely available to the public. I set the access rights accordingly. Additionally, in the metadata catalogue the Akkala Saami consultant was anonymized to protect her/him from becoming an object for a new "last speaker search". In concordance to standards we agreed upon earlier inside KSDP, I included non-anonymized personal metadata on the other actors involved in archiving the data: Elisabeth Scheller (collector, annotator), the two other Saami collectors and myself (depositor). However, according to Elisabeth Scheller's wish from yesterday (in a personal Email to me) I did now completely anonymize all three Saami actors in this session. For the time being, even the audio files and text annotations are not visible at the archive.

Since Elisabeth Scheller asked me twice in her latest posts to URA-LIST to "respect our agreements", I can only say again that I respected and I still respect the agreements made about these recordings. They where never made  available from the archive or otherwise shared with anybody.

Best,
Michael Rießler

-

Dr. Michael Rießler
Skandinavisches Seminar, Universität Freiburg
www.skandinavistik.uni-freiburg.de/institut/mitarbeiter/riessler
michael.riessler at skandinavistik.uni-freiburg.de