In defense of Dr. Erika Sarivaara

Florian Siegl florian.siegl at gmx.net
Mon May 20 08:18:56 UTC 2013

As an outsider who has not followed this particular discussion in the
Scandinavian North I want to add some strictly private thoughts.

I do not understand how this "potential FB scandal" relates to science
and why this called for such a posting. FB is neither a dominant nor a
suitable medium for scientific discourse simply because not all who are
in the target community access it. FB is a private hobby for those who
have the time to play around with it, but there seems to be a certain
trend that people can no longer tell the differences between hobby and
work. For those who are not using FB (including me and for sure several
more subscribers of Ura-List), I cannot understand why a private opinion
in a social, but closed (sic!) and predominantly private network should
concern those who are not in FB. After all, this was not a blog post
which can be accessed by everybody who wants to read this.

As long as a scientific statement has not been made available to a
general audience, I really do not see any reason why subscribers of
Ura-List should be interested in a "FB scandal" and as a matter of fact
should be bothered. I hope to see Pekka Sammallahti's comments in print
and I would suggest that Pekka sends a short note on Ura-List when his
written statement has become published. This will create the necessary
basis for a general discussion which, so far, is lacking...

Florian Siegl
University of Helsinki

P.S.I have deleted most of the original receivers from the original
mail; if anybody feels that these personal thoughts are relevant, he/she
is welcomed to forward this message.