PhD funding opportunity in Freiburg

Scheller Elisabeth elisabeth.scheller at uit.no
Thu Nov 14 11:38:53 UTC 2013

Dear Michael Riessler,

Thank you for the information about the Phd scholarship in connection with the "Freiburg Research Group in Saami Studies" (FRGS).  I have some comments and questions to your announcement.

You write:
I am writing to this list because a PhD project in connection with the Freiburg Research Group in Saami Studies (http://www.skandinavistik.uni-freiburg.de/research/saami/), working for instance with our existing corpora for Pite, Skolt, Akkala, Kildin and Ter Saami, would be possible to apply for.

Most of the corpus material (excepted Pite Saami) has been collected in the period 2005-2010  within the "Kola Saami Documentation Project" (KSDP, http://saami.uni-freiburg.de/ksdp/ ).  The principal researchers in this project were Michael Riessler and Elisabeth Scheller and we have also the general responsibility for the collected material and for the corpus. The project has officially run out in 2010. But we still have not finished all of our work with the corpus material and there are also some problems that we have not solved yet. One of them is the Access to the corpus material. Yet we have no official permissions from our informants about the access to and the use of their recordings. Michael Riessler and me have discussed this question earlier, but yet we have not decided how we will act.

With respect for the people who have worked with us as informants, before we have got official written permissions from them, the corpora for Skolt, Akkala, Kildin and Ter Saami will not be accessible.

I have also some questions:

-The description of the application requirements is only given in the German language, which has an excluding effect for applicants without German language knowledge – for example applicants from Russia and the Nordic countries. If applicants from Russia and the Nordic countries are welcome to apply for the scholarship, would it be possible to give the description also in Russian, one Nordic language and  English?

-As researchers, who have worked within the Saami (and Komi) communities for many years and who have build our research careers (and also the corpus that is announced here), we should have the responsibility to support the Saami and Komi communities in educating their own researchers. Therefor my next question: Would it be possible to explicitly invite Saami and Komi applicants to apply for the scholarship and write this in the announcement?

-Is there a possibility to write a PHD-thesis  about Saami corpus linguistics in the Russian language? An important target group  for the kind of Phd scholarship that is announced here, are Saami and Komi with higher education and who have knowledge of Komi or one or more Kola- or other Saami languages, but who may be have not sufficient knowledge of English to write a thesis in English. May be an announcement in the Russian language and the possibility to write the thesis in Russian would help to encourage these people to apply for the scholarship?

With kind regards,

Elisabeth Scheller
PhD Student in Saami sociolinguistics
University of Tromsø