[Ura-list] Lyudmila Markianova

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Sat Dec 23 14:34:41 UTC 2017

Dear URA-LIST Community,

almost two years ago, many of you joined the petition in the cause of our colleague Lyudmila Markianova, the leading developer of Modern Standard Livvi Karelian. Markianova is currently living with her daughter's family in Finland, and due to Alzheimer's disease, she needs continuous care. However, the Finnish authorities were not willing to grant her a residence permit, which would have meant sending her back to Russia, where she has no other close relatives alive and nobody to support her. Now, finally, her daughter's new application has been granted: Markianova can remain in Finland, where she is entitled to health care and social support.

"Helsingin Sanomat" writes about Markianova today: https://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/art-2000005501258.html <https://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/art-2000005501258.html> .

Once again, thanks to all who joined the petition. With these good news, let me wish you all happy and peaceful holidays!

Best
JL
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)