[Ura-list] János Gulya in memoriam

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Fri Feb 17 14:18:30 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

from Hungarian colleagues, I just received the sad news of the passing of János Gulya, retired professor of Finno-Ugric studies at the University of Göttingen, at the age of 84 years, on February 11.

Born in Budapest 1933, János Gulya had studied at the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, with postgraduate studies in Moscow, Tartu, and Helsinki. From 1976 until his retirement in 2001, he held the chair of Finno-Ugric studies at the Georg-August University in Göttingen, and even after that he continued participating in academic activities.

János Gulya was a renowned and esteemed expert of Ob-Ugric languages, member of numerous international academic expert bodies and societies (the attached file, in German, contains a more detailed description of his career and œuvre). With him, our community has lost an important representative of a "great generation".

With condolences to all friends, former students and colleagues of János Gulya
JL
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)