[Ura-list] ISO639-3: Any requests?

Jeremy Bradley jeremy.moss.bradley at univie.ac.at
Thu Feb 14 10:36:19 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

Arto makes a good point about how the current nomenclature is
transparent from the outside. The question now is if it's more important
for the nomenclature to be transparent, or to match the usage by the
speaker community: I honestly don't know.

About Northwestern Mari: the question I was asked was what members of
the speaker community would use in writing. The answer honest answer to
that is "Russian". There is, however, a codified literary norm (with a
букварь published in 1995), with two additional letters not found in
Hill Mari for the extra vowel phonemes: ө, ӫ. I don't know of any
ongoing publications actually *using* this norm, but I talked to a
colleague (Tanaka Takashi) who recently visited the NW Mari areas, and
he tells me that when he encountered Mari in writing, it was actually in
this writing system: e.g. on a WW2 memorial, and a school project at an
elementary school. This to me would not be enough to necessitate an ISO
code, but since this whole thing was set off by a request from within
the community, apparently, I think we can give the people at SIL this
information, and let them decide.

All the best,
Jeremy

--