[Ura-list] ISO639-3: Any requests? (Karelian)

Enum Cohrs m at doomanddarkness.eu
Sun Feb 17 13:57:42 UTC 2019

Dear uralists,

since Jeremy also asked about similar requests for other Uralic
languages, I'd like to talk about the situation for Karelian.

As far as I see, there are three codes for Karelian at the moment:

krl - Karelian
olo - Livvi
lud - Ludian

Whilst it is really useful that Livvi and Ludian have their own codes,
it is not transparent (for me) whether the code 'krl' is meant for all
Karelian varieties or just for "Karelian proper" (thus excluding Livvi
and Ludian).

Case 1) Assuming that 'krl' is meant for "Karelian proper" only, then it
would be quite useful to have a metalanguage code that covers all
Karelian varieties. Also, I would suggest that the ISO639-3 entry 'krl'
is updated to specifically call it "Karelian proper" to avoid confusion.
Especially because in the recent decades, Livvi has become quite a
literary standard, and is often just called "Karelian" as well (e.g. Yle
Uudizet Karjalakse writes in Livvi, but calls it "Karelian").

Case 2) Assuming that 'krl' is meant as a metalanguage code for all
Karelian varieties, it would be useful to have a separate code for
Karelian proper, to contrast it from Livvi and Ludian.

Are there other opinions on this? Am I maybe missing something?

Best regards,

Enum

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ura-list/