[Ura-list] Deadline extension: Sixth workshop on Computational Linguistics of Uralic Languages (IWCLUL 2020)

Jeremy Bradley jeremy.moss.bradley at univie.ac.at
Mon Nov 18 15:18:42 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

We have extended the submission deadline for IWCLUL 2020
(iwclul.univie.ac.at/) to 25 November, i.e. a week from today. More
information on the submission procedure can be found on our website.

All the best,
Jeremy Bradley

The purpose of the conference series International Workshop on
Computational Linguistics for Uralic Languages is to bring together
researchers working on computational approaches to working with these
languages. We accept long and short papers as well as tutorial proposals
working on the following languages: Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, Võro,
the Sámi languages, Komi (Zyrian, Permyak), Mordvin (Erzya, Moksha),
Mari (Hill, Meadow), Udmurt, Nenets (Tundra, Forest), Enets, Nganasan,
Selkup, Mansi, Khanty, Veps, Karelian (Olonets), Karelian, Ingrian
(Izhorian), Votic, Livonian, Ludic, and other related languages. All
Uralic languages exhibit rich morphological structure, which makes
processing them challenging for state-of-the-art computational
linguistic approaches, the majority also suffer from a lack of resources
and many are endangered. Research papers should be original, substantial
and unpublished research, that can describe work-in-progress systems,
frameworks, standards and evaluation schemes. Demos and tutorials will
present systems and standards towards the goal of interoperability and
unification of different projects, applications and research groups
Appropriate topics include (but are not limited to):

  * Parsers, analysers and processing pipelines of Uralic languages
  * Lexical databases, electronic dictionaries
  * Finished end-user applications aimed at Uralic languages, such as
    spelling or grammar checkers, machine translation or speech processing
  * Evaluation methods and gold standards, tagged corpora, treebanks
  * Reports on language-independent or unsupervised methods as applied
    to Uralic languages
  * Surveys and review articles on subjects related to computational
    linguistics for one or more Uralic languages
  * Any work that aims at combining efforts and reducing duplication of
    work
  * How to elicit activity from the language community, agitation
    campaigns, games with a purpose

To maximise the possibility of reproducibility, replication and reuse,
we particularly encourage submissions which present free/open-source
language resources and make use of free/open-source software. One of the
aims of this gathering is to avoid unnecessary duplicated work in field
of Uralistics by establishing connections and interoperability standards
between researchers and research groups working at different sites. We
have also identified a serious lack of gold standards and evaluation
metrics for all Uralic languages including those with national support,
any work towards better resources in these fields will be greatly
appreciated.

--
Jeremy Bradley, Ph.D.
University of Vienna