Delhi Hindi(s)

Gail Coelho gail at UTXVMS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jul 19 02:13:35 UTC 1999

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

Oh I see the problem -- it's with the meaning of the term mother tongue.
There's all this confusion with the linguistic and non-linguistic usages of
this term and others involving one's linguistic repertoire. Personally,
I've decided to use various terms in the following way:

mother tongue = community language . Used basically the way lay people use
'm.t.' in India -- that is, one isn't necessarily fluent in it (may not
even know it) but its the language that one claims as a marker of identity
in a community.

native language = first language that was learned in childhood before age 3
-- if many were learned simultaneously, then the person has many native
languages.

first language = the dominant language in a person's repertoire. A person
could have many first languages, perhaps -- like someone who used English
most of the time outside the home and Hindi most of the time at home and
had native fluency in both (irrespective of the dialect s/he uses, for
example Indian English rather than British).

In describing myself, I tend to say that I learned Tamil and English as my
native languages, but my first language is English. Because from what I
hear, I spoke both well upto about age 5, but then lost a lot of my Tamil
fluency. I'm 'relearning' Tamil right now!

This is how I use these terms -- I realize that it's not common usage in
linguistics. This division doesn't solve all the problems with categorizing
one's languages but it does seem a little better than using all 3
interchangeably.

Gail