Query on scope & membership

Mon May 31 22:23:15 UTC 1999

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany
Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say INFO VYAKARAN

Dear Members,
Fist of all congratulations to John Peterson (Munich) and   Tej Bhatia
(Syracuse) for sucessfully re-constituting the list.

Many of us have been dissatisfied with the type of discussion we seen in
the by now almost 10 years old INDOLOGY list: too much casteism,
nationalism,  Aryan/Dravidian=North/South problems, simple traditionalism,
-- and certainly too much useless input by 1st generation immigrant
computer engeneers, etc. who do not know a thing about linguistics,
philology etc.

So why not shift *that* part of our discussions to VYAKARAN?

If the listowners agree to widen the field form pure grammar and
linguistics to Philology in general, understood as "the study of
Indo-Iranian,South Asian civilizations based on their texts."

We could still send a copy to INDOLOGY. But have our discussions here,
without undue interference. That would require, of course, some
restrictions on membership of this list:
Such as (graduate) students or professors of linguistics, philology, allied
subjects (archaeology, genetics etc.)

So what do the listowneres think?

---------
I reprint just one such complaint recently seen on Indology:

---------