Dhivehi

Dora Johnson Dora at CAL.ORG
Fri Sep 24 12:38:54 UTC 1999

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

Gosh, Jim!  I thought you said you were going to retire!  Why would anyone believe such a story ― I have a feeling there's a generation of us that don't quite know what that word means.

Yes, I'm still at the Center and still trying to keep up with LCTLs although that gets pushed aside a lot because it's more a labor of love than remunerated.  I'm hoping to get an intern this year who can help and now that I know you're still working away at South Asia, most like I'll be in touch to get updated on what's happening in that part of the world.

CAL is doing reasonably well ― as non-profits of our size go. We got paid to move from our funky old building so someone could build a retirement place for the rich!  So we're uptowners now, but it beats being the suburbs.  If your travels do bring you to DC, it would be good to see you and catch up on what you've been doing and what's happening to the MLP at Cornell. We're still on the Metro line which makes it fairly easy to get to us.

Best wishes.

Dora Johnson
Research Associate

Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street, NW
Washington, DC  20016-1859
Telephone: (202) 362-0700, FAX (202) 362-3740
Internet address: dora at cal.org

Visit the Center for Applied Linguistics
         on the World Wide Web at
                 http://www.cal.org

>>> James Gair <jwg2 at CORNELL.EDU> 09/23/99 03:56PM >>>
          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

 I composed this before I looked at some other replies, so there is some
redundancy, but I will send it as is to save time. There is a fair amount
of information on Dhivehi,  and I am surprised that France's student could
not find any, though some is a bit out of the way.. Perhaps she did not
check alternate spellings and under "Maldivian". (See the Ethnologue list).

A PhD thesis has just been completed here (at Cornell) by Bruce Cain. It
runs to 350+ pages and includes an introduction which does have some
sociolinguistic information, a quite complete grammatical sketch, and an
extensive section on the history of the language, particularly in relation
to its relation to Sinhala. It will be in Dissertation Abstracts, but it
probably won't be in microfilm just yet. It does include a sizeable
bibliography.

A descriptive sketch by Bruce and me is in the works in the Lincom
Descriptive Series, and is just about to go to press (I expect it to be in
final form within the next two weeks--only some last-minute editing and
firming up the crc. remain ).

There is also a published bibliography on the Maldives by CHB Reynolds
(Clio Press, Oxford, 1993) and he has also produced some published papers.
In addition, there is considerable work done in Sri Lanka, especially by
J.B. Disanayaka and G.B. Wijayawardhana.

There is also a book on people of the Maldives by Clarence Maloney, which
does include a fair amount of significant information on the language
(critiqued in Cain's dissertation).

I have not mentioned the pioneering studies by Wilhelm Geiger (in German
and English) which include a monograph, an etymological glossary, and a
number of papers. There are also, the important works  by HCP Bell. Some of
this has been published in Mal* by the National Centre for Linguistic and
Historical Research. Some appeared in the Journal of the Royal Asiatic
Society/Ceylon Branch), or was published separately.

 I don't have a full bibliography to hand to distribute, but this is at
least a start, and with it, a fair amount of information should be rather
simple to /find.

James W Gair