Indian and other Asian languages listed in ISO 639: feedback sought

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Feb 3 10:39:12 UTC 2000

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

Dear John

You appear to be missing, at least the following.
(The codes here are SIL codes)
These are just the first four counties I looked at.  There must be
thousands more.  Are you only interested in the South Asian languages?

I particularly noted that Sylheti was missing.  However, Chibcha is in,
whether as a family or a language I cannot tell.

In fact, there are so many missing, I assume you are not aiming to be
exhaustive, but just to cover the most populous/useful languages.  If so,
just look at the top-slice of each list, since they are listed in order of
speaker numbers (First language) worldwide.  (Again, SIL figures.)  But
what IS your criterion?  Just whether people, in practice, have needed to
trefer to these languages?  If so, I suppose you should be catholic in
inclusion, since this could change in the future.

I have the figures pre-processed and could send them, if that would help.

Bangladesh
CHITTAGONIAN    CIT
SYLHETTI        SYL
TIPPERA TPE
SADRI   SDR
TANGCHANGYA     TNV
DARLONG DLN
USUI    USI
PANKHU  PKH
SHENDU  SHL
MEGAM   MEF

and

Costa Rica
BRIBRI  BZD
CABECAR CJP
MALEKU JAIKA    GUT
BORUCA  BRN

Panama
NGABERE GYM
KUNA, SAN BLAS  CUK
EMBERA, NORTHERN        EMP
WOUN MEU        NOA
TERIBE  TFR
BUGLERE SAB
SAN MIGUEL CREOLE FRENCH        SME

Colombia
WAYUU   GUC
PAEZ    PBB
AWA-CUAIQUER    KWI
GUAHIBO GUH
EMBERA-CATIO    CTO
EMBERA-CHAMI    CMI
INGA    INB
GUAMBIANO       GUM
CUBEO   CUB
ICA     ARH
EMBERA-BAUDO    BDC
INGA, JUNGLE    INJ
CAMSA   KBH
KOGUI   KOG
EMBERA-SAIJA    SJA
MALAYO  MBP
PIAPOCO PIO
CURRIPACO       KPC
YUKPA   YUP
CUIBA   CUI
SALIBA  SLC
PUINAVE PUI
CHIMILA CBG
KOREGUAJE       COE
HUITOTO, MINICA HTO
MOTILON MOT
TUNEBO, CENTRAL TUF
KUNA, BORDER    KUA
GUAYABERO       GUO
EMBERA-TADO     TDC
TUYUCA  TUE
YUCUNA  YCN
CARAPANA        CBC
WAIMAHA BAO
MACUNA  MYY
ACHAGUA ACA
BARASANA        BSN
TATUYO  TAV
NUKAK MAKU      MBR
SIONA   SIN
TANIMUCA-RETUARA        TNC
TUNEBO, BARRO NEGRO     TBN
SIRIANO SRI
YURUTI  YUI
ANDOQUE ANO
CACUA   CBV
CARABAYO        CBY
MUINANE BMR
PLAYERO GOB
CARIJONA        CBD
MACAGUAN        MBN
CABIYARI        CBB
PALENQUERO      PLN
TUNEBO, ANGOSTURAS      TND
TUNEBO, WESTERN TNB
YARI    YRI

                       Nicholas   Ostler
                        Linguacubun Ltd
          "technology for the languages of the world"

             Batheaston Villa,  172 Bailbrook Lane
             Bath           BA1 7AA        England
             +44-1225-85-2865 fax +44-1225-85-9258
                  nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk