Re Nicholas Ostler's response

Peter Hook pehook at UMICH.EDU
Tue Apr 10 11:44:49 UTC 2001

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

There may be another reason for the lack of response to Maggie Ronkin's
query: No-one writing in English has worked much on the question of
reported speech in Indian languages.

>From my experience of Marathi and Hindi-Urdu I would say that there is
significant variation from language to language with Marathi being much
more likely to use the "direct quotation" strategy and Hindi-Urdu more
likely to resemble patterns found in European languages.

        Peter Hook