'pupil', 'doll', 'child'

Peter Hook pehook at UMICH.EDU
Sun Apr 22 20:28:30 UTC 2001

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

It seems that the English word <pupil> has a similar polysemy, or that its
Latin antecedent does: <pupillus> and <pupilla> are the diminutives of
<pupus> 'boy' and <pupa> 'girl'.  The diminutive of the latter word means
both 'pupil (of the eye)' as well as 'ward; schoolchild'. My guess at an
explanation is that when one person looks carefully at his or her
reflection in the pupil of another person's eye they will see what looks
like a small person. Or a doll.

        Peter