Grundbedeutung?

Peter Hook pehook at UMICH.EDU
Tue Jul 24 14:53:07 UTC 2001

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

Hello, John

        For the notion of "radial category", which undermines the
plausibility of Grundbedeutung, you might want to look at the discussion
of the Japanese classifier "hon" in Lakoff's 'Women, Fire and Dangerous
Things'.  Brugman's work on "over", to my mind, also casts doubt on the
necessity of a single Grundbedeutung tying together all instances of a
morphological or lexical form.

        All the best,

                Peter