Second Workshop for South Asian Language Teachers

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Feb 4 14:43:25 UTC 2003

Following the very successful workshop for Hindi and Urdu teachers held at
Penn last weekend, we now announce a second workshop for South Asia
language teachers *other than Hindi and Urdu*, to be held at Penn March
7-8, 2003.  This message has also been sent to subscribers of our new
South Asian language teachers' listserv (SALRC-teach) which gives a way
for people to register on-line for the workshop.  So far, there have been
almost NO registrations for languages other than Tamil.  (I have no
problem with Tamil, but I am concerned about the other languages!)
Please would you take the time to see that your teachers of languages such
as Bengali, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Panjabi, Pashto, Sinhala,
Telugu, and any other modern languages I may have missed, are aware of
this and planning to attend. (If they don't, it will be very hard to
establish the needs and priorities for materials for those languages.)

People can register for this workshop on-line at
http://larrc.sas.upenn.edu/salrc/ Teachers working at Title 6 Centers in
general can expect that their Center will support their travel expenses.
If they are not aware of the listserv, they can also sign up for this at:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/sublist?list=salrc-teach/

Subscribers to the Vyakaran list may also be interested to know that as a
result of the Hindi and Urdu workshop held last week, we also set up a
listserv for Hindi and Urdu issues, which people can join at:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/sublist?list=hindi-urdu-t/

If people have any questions, email HAREESH CHANDRUPATLA
at <hareesh at ccat.sas.upenn.edu>

Hal Schiffman